Wednesday, August 31, 2011

“Low-Suds”


A Highly Concentrated Laundry Detergent


Friends and Family, as most of you know, one of the few benefits of writing a Blog, is that as the author of the Blog I get to write about anything that I choose to. This day I have elected to utilize this “stage” to submit to each of you a simple request …

Please read this publication and submit / post a comment below (an anonymous comment will be just fine) or in the very least check the little box located near the bottom of the page that documents reactions to the given topic of the post or subject matter. There are just 3 little boxes (funny, interesting, and cool) to consider, you only need to check one of the 3 … If you think this topic / idea is a silly idea, then check ‘funny’; if you think the concept just may work, then check ‘interesting’; if you want, just leave the ‘cool’ box alone, as even I can’t think of anything cool about this subject.

If you only arrived here to be entertained and you absolutely refuse to assist, then feel free to click on any of the 75 critiques I have posted since June 14, 2011. But this is not a hard read, and by giving a little help here, rest assured the next several posts will be much more interesting.  In fact I have the next 4 posts / critiques already drafted and waiting to be published.

My wife and I have jointly developed, tried & tested a Home Made alternative to the high priced laundry detergent that is currently sold in stores.  Use less to clean more, and save $ $ $.  In this application, less really can = more! 

Hopefully, within the very near future, I will have figured out how to implement the necessary tasks associated with providing, for your convenience, an on-line store through which you will be able to purchase all your laundry detergent needs; at a fair and reasonable price.

Yes, you can also make your very own; you can even obtain the recipe from one of my previous posts; but you will be required to scurry about town to search out and purchase each and all of the necessary products that are required to make this superior concentrated mixture; in addition it will be vital that you measure, combine, and blend these new found products so as to develop the ultimate laundry product.  I, on the other hand, am willing to save you the trouble, and there is a chance that I may earn a few dollars in the process as well.

I currently plan to offer a few product sizes, by limiting shipment quantities (up to 64 ounces / 4 pounds) I hope to reduce the total product price which includes a shipping fee of $4.95 for items weighing 16 ounces or more. In other words, 4 pounds is all I can place inside a flat rate priority mail package with a shipping cost of $4.95.

Beyond that, the aforementioned rate jumps to $5.20 for a tiny box (the USPS calls it a small flat rate box) that will only hold 24 or 25 ounces in a pinch; the shipping rate then leaps to $10.95 for what the postal service calls a medium flat rate box which will hold about 8 to 10 pounds of Low-Suds detergent, but the shipping rate is in itself cost prohibitive, at least in my opinion.

I have yet to locate an outlet store that will sell me ½ ounce scoops or spoons I hope to include in each sales package which contains at least 16 ounces or more of the Low-Suds Laundry product.  This aspect of the endeavor ultimately depends on the costs associated with shipping. For example one popular supplier offers to ship in ‘lots’ of 20 scoops, at $9.95 per lot (20 scoops) but they insist that shipping requires an additional $5.45, therefore totaling $15.40 which equals 77 Cents per scoop.   In my view, this additional cost is best described with one word: Ridiculous!

You may recall that I’ve voiced my dismay within a couple of previous post’s regarding detergent products that are typically sold in the market place, who provide a ‘free’ 8 ounce shovel; in my view this is a genuine insult to those of us who are only slightly intelligent, not to mention everyone else.  In my view, if you are providing the added convenience of a scoop, make sure that it is at the very least reasonable.  After all, if a half ounce will do in the majority of cases, why have anything larger.  Most folks would consider such an action as wasteful but apparently the vast majority of the marketers / producers of Tide, Gain, Cheer, Era, etc. expect that it’s just a good “trick of the trade”.

In summary, I hope to offer a “2 packet” package for less than $2.00 for those of you that would rather try a couple of laundry wash loads before committing to a larger volume order … I expect that I can ship these inside a couple of  sealable plastic ‘Snack Bags’, each placed inside a legal size envelope for a penny less than 95 Cents including postage of 88 Cents and the two bags … then there is a small cost associated with enough detergent inside each snack bag to wash at least one load of laundry each.

In addition I hope to offer, with all shipping costs included:
16 ounces of Low-Suds Detergent for under $10.00;  32 ounces at just under $15.00;  48 ounces at less than $20.00;  and 64 ounces at just under $25.00.

Keep in mind that this product is highly concentrated so for a normal load of laundry; a 16 ounce package will very effectively clean 32 loads. In addition, I do not call this product "Low Suds" without reason; in fact there is hardly any soap suds produced.

The pricing estimates I’ve submitted depend upon my costs associated with the ½ ounce Scoop I mentioned above.   So please leave a comment regarding your thoughts on the on-line store in general as well as to what your thoughts are regarding the scoop. In the alternative, simply check the little ‘interesting’ box located below, thus indicating that you consider this endeavor worthy of pursuing.  

Here’s to thanking you in advance, you are practically finished with this little favor.


With Warmest Regards,


TG

Sources …

8 comments:

  1. It seems like a pretty good idea to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, your comment is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will the detergent be safe/effective for high efficiency machines? What does it smell like? How about for people with allergies or sensitive skin? Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I do not have a H E Machine my research indicates that because of the very low suds output, its works very well with that type washer; initially I have no plans to add scents to the mix although I may offer that option a bit later, although I think it currently has the faint oder of Ivory Soap; not only is it safe for sensitive skin, the Low-Suds product is environmentally friendly as well... Thanks for he questions Sasha, I should have posted that information in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd definitely prefer no scent due to allergies/sensitivity issues. There are too many additives in things already!

    I'd be happy to test this in my HE washer if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try to get you a sample pack (16 oz.) soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I've done 3 loads with your detergent and it's working beautifully!  I love how nice and soft everything is coming out. We do have hard water here so it is a big help! My first impression is that this is much better than store bought. I usually get All Free and Clear liquid at Sam's Club. I don't know how much I pay for it but I am positive it's way more expensive than yours. Let me know when I can place an order for more than a sample size. I will gladly pay for this product!

    Also - I've been using a little scoop I had in the kitchen drawer and using about a tablespoon for a normal size load. I wouldn't bother with scoops if I were you; anyone can measure out a tablespoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my view a 1/2 ounce scoop is just a convenience, not a necessity; we are all accustomed to a scoop being there, I expect a lot of us may be reluctant to use a nice shinny tablespoon borrowed from the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete